Friday, February 15, 2013

#3 Lessons from the Mission Field

Expectations. It's that word everyone warned me about. I heeded their advice and did my best to find out what life would really be like here, but expectations are good at being invisible until they are unmet. My unmet expectation surfaced when life stopped going according to plan.

You see my goal was that this year would be the line that carries me from point "A" to point "B"(a far off dot that was clearly defined in my mind). But God in His eternally infinite wisdom began drawing the line in a different direction. I wish I could say I responded with an, "Ah, God! The line you're drawing is not going to connect with point "B." But nothing changed. With each passing day I found us to be on the same course, going away from point "B." A lot of friction and unrest began to build in me, but not so in God. He seemed cool as a cucumber and almost happy. I sensed His patience and love for me when I lifted my prayers of frustration, disappointment and bewilderment. What appeared to be silence was actually Him listening to me, and giving me the time I needed so I could accept what He was about to reveal. It took about a month but I did finally come to the realization that point "B" may not be where He wants to take me and that the line He is drawing is actually, exactly what I need. I am happy to say, inner turmoil is no longer my companion, but rather, peace, joy and excitement to see where and how God will continue to lead in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment