Thursday, February 28, 2013

#8 New Trails to Walk

    " They are here!"  Those words brought a mixture of relief and nervous energy.  Two months earlier it had been decided that kiley and I would be moving out to Emrang a village several hours hike away in a different valley.  The people there are interested in the gospel and getting an education.  A couple years ago student missionaries (SMs) from Kementiyan were living there providing education, medical services, and focusing on the 1st stages of introducing Jesus or "Empu' Isus" to the people.  This is the work Kiley and I will be c ontinuing to do.
    Unfortunately, it has not been possible for any missionaries to be in Emrang the last year and a half.  Because of the time laps things had degenerated a bit.  Fore example the missionaries' hut had a very leaky roof and the jungle or "Kerikutan" had grown up around the house, so even though we knew we were going we had no idea when.  In fact, at some points we wondered if we would ever get out there at all.  On two occasions malaria was the culprit in interrupting progress.  First it was Meniwang the head gunggurang (like a head elder of a particular group of people) who was fixing our roof got Malaria.  Then Kiley got it when it was time to move.  In any case Kiley and I had been praying that God would send us there in his timing and trusted him to take care of it.  Well that day did finally arrive.  February 5th exactly 5 months after arriving in the Philippines.  After being sent off with prayer by our fellow missionaries we and our six guides from Emrang loaded up the last few things on our backs and headed out.
     It struck me as we were hiking on the trail that here we were headed to a place we've never been before, that's far far away, and we're being led by complete strangers.  We're going there to live not just visit.  No one there speaks English to help us along when we don't understand, with our limited vocabulary and experience we are to get the school up and running and provide medical care, and will be the only Christians there.  Everyone will be looking to us to see what the Character of God is like, and suddenly we are the most experienced in spiritual warfare.  Feeling a bit inadequate?  Most Definitely!  But just like walking trails here you only focus on taking the next step, not all the other ones ahead of you.  Trusting in God's leading in my life and his strength I cling to promises like Joshua 1:9. "What have I told you to do?  I have told you to be strong and full of courage.  Don't be terrified or discouraged and give up.  You don't have to do all this alone.  I will be with you and help you every step of the way."  Only God knows the beginning and end.  I know his plans and purposes are good for he has already been working them out in my life and proving his promises to be true.  I am happy to walk the trail he puts before me all the while learning more of him and experiencing the joy of being in his service.

1 comment:

  1. Kasia! Tears came to my eyes as I read this blog. Partially from joy, partially from sadness. I'm so excited that you girls are going to my village! I know there will be challenges, but you will grow to love it immensely. I miss it so much! Take lots of pictures so I can see the people and place. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete